Catch fish with Mike Ladle.

Catch Fish with
Mike Ladle


Information Page

Freshwater Fishing

For anyone unfamiliar with the site always check the FRESHWATER, SALTWATER and TACK-TICS pages. The Saltwater page now extends back as a record of over several years of (mostly) sea fishing and may be a useful guide as to when to fish. The Freshwater stuff is also up to date now. I keep adding to both. These pages are effectively my diary and the latest will usually be about fishing in the previous day or two. As you see I also add the odd piece from my friends and correspondents if I've not been doing much. The Tactics pages which are chiefly 'how I do it' plus a bit of science are also updated regularly and (I think) worth a read (the earlier ones are mostly tackle and 'how to do it' stuff).

Carp at last.

I've already had a couple of short, abortive carping sessions this year. Usually I catch a number of fish in April but for various reasons they weren't having any this season. Anyway, before I go to Tobago, here's a quick account of my recent trip. Conditions were quite nice although it wasn't too warm and there was a bit of a breeze (this tends to make the reeds flap about and move my bread crust from place to place). Anyway, I was encouraged when, after five minutes or so, a fish sucked the crust off my hook with barely a tremor of the rod tip. I threw about five free offerings into strategic spots. Two of them were dropped in the edge at my feet. For half-an-hour nothing much happened although there was a bit of rustling in the reeds as fish swam through the area. Then, slurp! slurp! the two crusts by my feet were neatly removed. I waited for a while and then reeled in my bait (usually it's taken shortly after I shake it off the hook), rebaited and lowered it into the edge, laid the rod down, wound the reel until the line hung vertically to the bait and waited.

It was probably ten minutes before the rod tip dipped and I had to grab the handle before everything was dragged into the lake. I held the fish hard to keep it out of the reeds and basically,that was that. The carp tore about for a while but it wasn't long before I had it in the net. Without lifting it from the water I took a couple of pictures, unhooked it and rolled it back to freedom. It lay there on its side long enough for another picture then, with a flick of its tail it was away. Satisfaction at last. Makes a change.

If you have any comments or questions about fish, methods, tactics or 'what have you!' get in touch with me by sending an E-MAIL to -


A nice fat common of ten or twelve pounds.


The fish didn't even know I'd let it go. Look at that colour!